Having just returned from a wonderful 6 week holiday hiking through the Swiss Alps and Rocky Mountains in Canada, I was reminded how easily our stress can sneak up on us with the constant demands of our busy life, and how rewarding it is to take time out to relax and rejuvenate and recharge the batteries and do something you really love to do. For us that is getting out into the great outdoors and exploring beautiful places as we travel.
It is wonderful to reward ourselves with a special holiday however what’s more important is what we do on a daily and weekly basis to ensure we schedule time out to relax and unwind.
We all experience stress from time to time. However, when stress gets to be too much, it can take its toll on our health and happiness. Having effective strategies to reduce stress levels is essential in restoring our inner peace, health and well-being.
Start today to create daily healthy habits and notice how more relaxed you feel. Here are some guidelines to start you on your way….
- Exercise – is a powerful way to reduce stress and can provide an effective release of negative emotions and also decrease ‘stress hormones’ like cortisol and increase endorphins, your body’s ‘feel-good’ chemicals, giving your mood a natural boost.
- Eat to stay on top – stress also wears down the immune system, which is why we get sick during challenging times. To counteract this, eat a healthy balanced diet to boost your immune system.
- Time for you – everyone needs time to relax and recover from the stresses of the day, so schedule time to do the things you love to do and that make you feel relaxed and rejuvenated.
- Simplify your life – simplifying life is a great way to reduce stress, cut out extra commitments that don’t serve you, change relationships that stress you, and change activities that you don’t enjoy. Take stock of what you do in your life that is creating pressure and things that you don’t enjoy and make the necessary changes.
- Get organised – being organised is the best way of creating extra time in your life and cutting down stress. Prioritise activities and responsibilities, ensuring you schedule in time for the most important things in your life i.e. family time, you time, exercise, etc.
What will you do today to ensure you take time out for you to create more peace, health and happiness?