The key to creating your personal and business success is to understand yourself and work towards personal mastery – being aware of exactly who we are reflects in every aspect of our personal life, relationships and our business life.
One of my favourite quotes is:
“No man is free who is not a master of himself.” (Epictetus)
Part of my mission in life is to always be working towards being the best I can be in all areas of my life, as well as being an inspiring role model for my family, friends and clients. This is not always easy on those days when life throws a curve ball at you, or you have a challenging situation in relationships or you’re just under the pump and having a bad day. That’s when it takes a lot of self-awareness and self-discipline to stay on track to be your best self.
So, how do we get to know ourselves better and create personal mastery?
Here are a few tips that can help:
- Have conscious awareness – become aware of your thoughts, because your thoughts determine how you feel, and how you feel will determine how you act.
- Become aware of our emotional reactions – when you are able to notice how you react to situations on a daily basis you then have the ability to change them in a positive way.
- Be aware of your attitudes – are you starting every day with an optimistic mindset or are you focusing on the things that are not working out for you.
- Discomfort is a prerequisite for success – Trying to stay in your comfort zone and letting fear get the best of you will always stop you from being your best self. In order to achieve any worthy goals, you must start realizing that discomfort is a prerequisite for success.
- Take 100% responsibility for everything that happens to you – Even if it seems like it, you are 100% responsible for everything that happens to you. What ever is showing up in your life is a result of the choices you made. Taking responsibility for your choices and your thoughts and actions and make them positive and moving towards your goals and notice how things change for the better.
- Set aside a specific time each week for personal reflection. Having a consistent weekly review is one of the most powerful ways to better focus your attention, realign your priorities, and make sure you’re making progress towards your goals. Schedule in you diary at least 30 minutes at the end of each week and ask questions, and write down your answers in your journal: What did I learn this week? What did I accomplish? What do I need to improve on? Have I made progress towards my short & long-term goals? What new ideas do I have? What did I learn this week that inspires me?
Become more aware of who you really are and become the master of your destiny!