Have you ever noticed when two people in identical, high-stress situations, that one of them gets stressed out and the other one handles the situation with ease and grace?
It’s because of the different ways they internalize what’s going on. Stress doesn’t exist in the outside world; it just exists inside your head. It’s up to you which way you choose to perceive it.
Stress is an internal phenomenon.
And remember – stress is not good or bad. It just IS. We need a certain amount of stress to motivate us but we need to understand ourselves to know when “too much” is having an adverse effect on our mind and body.
Your reaction to stress can become a habit. So, as the famous quote by Socrates, “Know thyself”, it is important to become aware of how you respond and react to situations and people so you can make positive changes.
The good news is you can change your habits.
So take charge and be your own boss – make a conscious choice to be happy, relaxed and stay positive by using these five strategies:(I guarantee that if you use them every day, they will make a massive positive difference in your life).
- Use the power of your choice – you have the ability to make choices. Once you realize that you have a choice between being stressed or staying calm and relaxed, you can then create healthy new habits and alternatives to stress.
- Choose to create a new meaning about the person or event – your mind labels everything that happens to you, to reduce worry or stress, choose to make up a more positive meaning about the event or person.
- Understand what you can and cannot control. Once you accept the fact that you can’t control an event or person, you can take action to change yourself and your thoughts about the situation.
- See other viewpoints – imagine the situation if you were standing in the other persons’ shoes, how might you feel?
- Learn to let go. Perhaps the hardest of all skills. One easy way to let go is to take a look around, observe someone else experiencing distress, step out of your world and step into theirs, and then help them. It is amazing how much better you will feel.
Have a positive and productive week.